If I would ask how you came to know God, you would likely find it a very simple question to answer. It’s through our parents. Parents have the mission of teaching their children to pray and to discover their vocation as children of God. After our baptism, what is next? We are called to be witnesses of Jesus through our words and deeds every day of our lives.
Christian vocation involves hearing God’s call through human testimony, following Jesus, seeking Him, finding Him and bringing others to Him by sharing that experience with them. In Sunday’s Old Testament passage, Eli helps his young disciple Samuel discern that the Lord is calling him to a personal encounter. Samuel’s response is every disciple’s perfect prayer: “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”
This Second Sunday in Ordinary Time is also being celebrated as the Sunday of the Word of God. See below the offerings from staff to prepare for Sunday Mass.
Anticipate Sunday, January 17
- Mass Readings, Music and Prayer – As you read the scripture readingsfor Sunday think about how you are answering the call. Follow along with prayer and songs.
- Scripture Reflection – Margaret Lee helps us to think about ways of living and sharing our faith.
- Reflections on the Readings and Music – Mike Kamenski presents the video “Simon, Son of John” and a reflection called “Invites, Not Sermons” by Rev. David Lose about inviting others to come and see.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are attending Mass on site, please review the safety procedures including a video message from Fr. Peter Patrick. If you or anyone in your household has virus symptoms, please stay home. Reminder: Face masks should cover both mouth and nose.
- Interview – This week’s guest on “Getting to Know You” with Jon Metz is Deacon Ralph Kornburger who has served as deacon at Saint Catherine Parish for 30 plus years.
- Martin Luther King Celebration – Join the Letter from a Birmingham Jail discussion on Monday, January 18, at 7 PM. Contact Jon Metz at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link to this virtual discussion.
- Let the Good Times Roll! – Celebrate Mardi Gras St. Seb’s style by participating in our Virtual Auction, February 14-20. Sponsorships, donations of vacation rentals, gift cards, raffle items, other items of value will be greatly appreciated. Contact the St. Seb’s 2021 Auction Committee at email@example.com and one of the committee members will get back to you promptly.
- Sunday Concert – Mike Kamenski’s Sunday Concert will be in the afternoon. You will find it on the parish Facebook page.
If someone you know needs our prayers, send requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to receive the parish newsletter or bulletin in the mail or are in need of some assistance, please be sure to let us know at email@example.com or 414-453-1061.
God is good all the time; all the time God is good.
Blessings of peace and gratitude.
Father Peter Patrick Kimani
St. Sebastian & St. Catherine Parishes