Pope Francis announced the Third Sunday in Ordinary Time as the Sunday of the Word of God to be devoted to the celebration, study and dissemination of the sacred Scriptures. This it to challenge us, as Catholics, to intentionally read Scripture. Saint Jerome says, “Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ.” If we want to have an intimate relationship with Jesus, we have to read Scripture.
God’s values must be the rule of our lives, instead of worldly or selfish values. Jesus again and again invites us to come under the loving rule of God by abandoning all unloving and ungodly ways. “Kingdom of God” does not refer to a place or a territory, but a new life to be lived with God’s own values.
See below the offerings from staff to prepare for Sunday Mass.
Anticipate Sunday, January 24
- Mass Readings, Music and Prayer – As you read the scripture readings for Sunday think about following the call. Follow along with prayer and songs.
- Child Ministry – Cecilia Dietzler presents a slide presentation on the Gospel Reading with a reflection for younger kids and a video.
- The Saint of the Week is Saint Sebastian, whose feast day was today, January 20! What an unbelievably cool patron for our parish, and how timely since he is the patron saint of plague victims. Cecilia encourages parents to learn about the Saint Sebastian with their kids because there’s probably something new to learn for everyone! For younger kids, check out the coloring book page of Saint Sebastian.
- Scripture Reflection – Jon Metz offers “Immediately, they dropped their nets” to help us to think how we might know God is calling us.
- Reflections on the Readings and Music – Mike Kamenski presents the video “Come, Follow Me” and a reflection called “Listening” by Father John Foley S.J. about being called.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are attending Mass on site, please review the safety procedures including a video message from Fr. Peter Patrick. If you or anyone in your household has virus symptoms, please stay home. Reminder: Face masks should cover both mouth and nose.
- Interview – This week’s guest on “Getting to Know You” is Chris Fulcher. Chris is the chair of St. Sebastian’s Faith Formation Committee and a cantor at Mass.
- Let the Good Times Roll! – Celebrate Mardi Gras St. Seb’s style by participating in our Virtual Auction, February 14-20. An email will be coming this week Thursday (tomorrow) regarding our parish and school auction event. Then, keep watching for additional emails and Facebook posts as more information is rolled out.
- Sunday Concert – Mike Kamenski’s Sunday Concert will be in the afternoon. You will find it on the parish Facebook page.
If someone you know needs our prayers, send requests to email@example.com. If you would like to receive the parish newsletter or bulletin in the mail or are in need of some assistance, please be sure to let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org or 414-453-1061.
God is good all the time; all the time God is good.
Blessings of peace and gratitude.
Father Peter Patrick Kimani
St. Sebastian & St. Catherine Parishes