Social Action & Outreach
St. Sebastian has a long history of working with our neighborhood, the city and the world to promote peace and social justice. The parish Human Concerns Committee discerns the needs of persons in the parish and wider community, and identifies resources to meet those needs enlisting the active cooperation of parish members. The committee’s scope of responsibility is two-fold: to meet immediate needs, and to work for changes in the oppressive structures of society.
From July-December 2017, our parish contributed to Daystar, Inc. Forks for Sustainability, Oxfam America: Hurricane Relief-Puerto Rico and the St. Catherine Food Pantry. For more information, contact Judy Ballard at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 414-771-8952.
Parish outreach includes:
- Bread for the World – Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation’s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad. By changing policies, programs and conditions that allow hunger and poverty to persist, we provide help and opportunity far beyond the communities in which we live. Contact Annalisa Ragatz, 414-778-0260
- Capuchin Community Services – St. Anthony Project
- The Cathedral Center
- Catholic Relief Services – Hurricane Matthew Relief Efforts
- Community Supported Agriculture – Parishioners and their friends can register for weekly summertime delivery of fresh Certified Organic vegetables. Learn more…
- Interfaith Conference of Greater Milwaukee
- Greater Tosa Interfaith – The Older Adult Program is one of 18 Interfaith programs in Milwaukee designed to provide assistance to the elderly. The parish encourages direct service volunteer duties to help with transportation services, visits and home repair or maintenance, such as windows, shovel snow, lawn care.
- Life Navigators
- Meta House
- Milwaukee Inner City Congregations Allied for Hope – The parish is a member of MICAH, a multi-racial, interfaith organization committed to addressing justice issues that impact the community in which we live.
- St. Catherine Food Pantry – Parish members collect non-perishable food and drop them off at the entrances to the parish Gathering Space. Food is brought to the St. Catherine Food Pantry (51st & Center).
- St. Sebastian Giving Tree – Each year, an important part of our Advent Season involves sponsoring the Giving Tree. Name tags from a variety of organizations are provided on the tree and parishioners are invited to purchase Christmas gifts for those in need.
- St. Sebastian Prayer Shawl Ministry – Knitters and crocheters make warm shawls to send those in need of comfort and solace, as well as in celebration and joy. Learn more…
- St. Vincent de Paul – The parish’s involvement in the St. Vincent de Paul Society helps parishioners and non-parishioners with emergency needs of clothing, food, rent, utilities, and more. Additionally, volunteers serve a meal at the St. Vincent de Paul Meal Program. Learn more…
- Sustainability Team – Meets to discuss ways to integrate environmental sustainability into the parish. Learn more…
- Teosinte/El Salvador Committee – Volunteers work to promote justice education and advocacy on behalf of our sister community in Teosinte, El Salvador and other rural communities in this Central American nation. Learn more…
- Wellness Nurse – On the fourth Friday of each month, a nurse provides wellness education and health checks. Learn more…
- Wisconsin Rural Women’s Initiative
- Women’s Care Center